Wednesday 15 August 2018

Buttons and Beads

I think I've probably been attending pottery classes for about fifteen months now and I'd recommend it to anyone who feels as though life's stresses are getting the better of them as there is something very relaxing about handling clay, we have a great bunch of students and a very talented pottery teacher who tells us some of the funniest stories!  If you've ever watched the brilliant and sadly missed UK tv series "The Great Pottery Throw Down" then you'll already know that making pottery can in itself be quite a funny experience... not that I've tried pulling mug handles myself yet 😉

Like with a number of my other hobbies, I really like working on a small scale and as I already enjoy sewing and making jewellery, button and bead making feel like a very natural pursuit, although I do on occasion tackle bigger projects too.  I'm fascinated by the many different techniques and the different properties of the different types of clay.  I love experimenting and pushing the materials and at the moment I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to fill that clay shaped hole in my life over the summer holidays until I start a very exciting City and Guilds pottery course in September!

In the meantime, I'll leave you with some photos of my latest batch of buttons and beads...



The buttons are all porcelain, which has been rolled out on a number of different materials to produce different textures and the beads at the bottom of the photo have been created by mixing three different types of clay together.  Up close some of them look like little planets.

No comments:

Post a Comment